BeamNG is regarded as one of the best sandbox, physics vehicle simulators. The game has been in early access since 2015 and has constantly gotten free content updates, adding everything from new missions, game modes, new vehicle types, maps & more. Today with its v0.30, BeamNG added official VR support to experience the game in a completely new way!
The VR support has actually been quite a long time coming. One of the BeamNG developers mentioned that they’ve been working on it since 2022.
One of the most notable features of this update is its broad compatibility. BeamNG’s VR support is designed to work with virtually any VR headset that supports OpenXR (should be just about every one).
The update boasts a plethora of immersive features:
- Toggle VR On-the-Fly: Users can switch between full 6DOF VR and non-VR modes seamlessly.
- Camera Flexibility: Choose between snap-turn or smooth-turn in-cockpit cameras, as well as a walking mode.
- Interactive 3D Cockpit: This experimental feature uses motion controls & promises a more tactile experience with cockpit switches, door handles, and more.
- Enhanced Audio & Visuals: Expect stereoscopic and position-aware mirror reflections coupled with directional 3D audio for a truly immersive experience.
- Instant 180º Turn: A nifty feature for those using the walking mode, allowing for quick direction changes.
As with any VR application, especially one as detailed and physics-intensive as BeamNG, there are substantial hardware demands. Users should be prepared to potentially scale back on graphics detail, traffic settings, and other in-game parameters to ensure a fluid and immersive experience.
Work in Progress
It’s essential to note that while this update is a huge step forward to play BeamNG in the most immersive way possible, it’s still labeled as “experimental.” The BeamNG team is actively seeking feedback and encourages users to share their experiences, report issues, and provide suggestions in the dedicated forum thread.
Stay tuned to xrupdate.com for more updates on the ever-evolving world of Virtual Reality!